Who doesn’t love a super easy, one casserole dish that not only takes little time to prepare but is also delicious? While I do love to tackle some challenging recipes, I also love to reach out for those quick and easy meals that make my life a little easier. This is why I have made this Roasted Cannellini Beans with Vegetables multiple times. It is a healthy meal that needs only fifteen minutes to prepare. This dish can also be served on bread, bruschetta style – or depending on the season you can use different vegetables or beans.
Have you ever had to use raw beans before? Meaning you had to soak them overnight? Yeah, I have done this a few times for other bean styled meals. A couple of times I found that even after soaking my beans they did not cook properly. So, we will skip this whole process for this recipe and use canned cannellini beans. They are quick and a lot easier to deal with. You will still get tons of flavour from the beans once they are combined with the roasted vegetables, olive oil and seasonings.
So … if you are looking for a quick and easy meal when you really don’t feel like spending a ton of time in the kitchen, these roasted beans with vegetables are ready for you to make them! On your next trip to the supermarket, grab all of the ingredients and give this recipe a go!
A ONE CASSEROLE DISH
Have I already mentioned this is a one casserole dish? Well it really is all you need. Simply chop up the onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes, the bell peppers and add them to the casserole dish. Add in the cannellini beans on top, spread with olive oil and mix in the seasonings. Give everything one final stir and transfer to a preheated oven at 180 C. Roast, covered with foil until the bell peppers have softened. Once the roasted beans and veggies are cooked, give the dish a stir and bake for a further 10 minutes, uncovered – but no longer than that so that the beans do not dry out.
Pop the cassesrole dish in the oven and relax while your dinner is roasting in the oven. Steam some broccoli towards the end of the roasting process and slice up some feta cheese. I like to use goat feta cheese, but you can use any feta cheese that you prefer. These two ingredients also add some extra flavour and some added nutrients to your meal. Only add the broccoli & feta cheese once the beans and roasted vegetables have cooled. This dish can be even better when served with some toasted bread, or bruschetta. You can also drizzle some extra olive oil.
MAIN MEAL OR AN APPETIZER
I have categorized this roasted cannellini beans with vegetables dish as a main course. This is because it truly can be. I can easily eat a whole bowl of these beans with some toasted bread on the side. It makes for roughly four decent sized dishes. You can also serve these beans and vegetables as an appetizer, it easily makes up to eight appetizer portions. Buuttt, it really is a great meal for those weekday nights when you are busy, exhausted or in no state of mind to cook up a big fuss in the kitchen. It is hearty and filling and a perfect meal for any time of the year! Especially during the warmer seasons when you are in the mood for a lighter meal.
Roasted Canellini Beans with Vegetables
- 400 g canellini beans washed & rinsed
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 180 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 head broccoli
- 150 g feta cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp marjoram
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Wash & rinse beans thoroughly and set aside.
- Chop vegetables and then in a large casserole dish mix the onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, peppers and beans.
- Add olive oil, paprika, Italian seasoning, marjoram and salt & pepper. Mix gently with two spoons as to not break the beans.
- Add ¼ cup hot water to the dish pouring it in a corner and tilting the dish so that the water spreads (do not pour over as this will wash off the olive oil as well as the seasonings).
- Cover with aluminum foil and roast for about 1 hour until peppers are soft.
- Remove foil and roast for about 10 minutes. Be careful not to leave it uncovered too long, otherwise the beans will become dry.
- Remove from oven, let it cool
- In the mean team, steam one head of broccoli.
- Once the roasted vegetables and beans have cooled. Place in a serving dish. Add the chopped feta cheese on top as well as the steamed broccoli.
If you’re in need of a new recipe that you can whip up in no time this Roasted Cannellini Beans with Vegetables recipe could be it! All you need is to chop all of the vegetables up, arrange them in a casserole dish, season and pop in the oven!