Pies are such a comfort food. I cant think of anybody who would turn down a tasty home made pie. There is something so comforting about a warm pie coming out of the oven, freshly baked. Especially when winter season and cold weather is around the corner, comfort food is best! Mince & Cheese Pies are a big thing in New Zealand. They are typically made with fluffy pastries filled with a mince meat, cheese and some type of sauce. Today, I am going to share with you my version of a healthy mince & cheese pie.
This mince & cheese pie offers you with a healthier alternative to the conventional pie. It is made with simple ingredients and no funny business. You can make both your crust and pie filling from scratch and not regret a single second spent on creating this recipe.
I have a separate blog post where you can learn how to make an easy butter pie crust step by step. If you are short for time feel free to use an already made pastry pie and then just follow this recipe along for the healthy mince & cheese filling 🙂
Prepping the mince & cheese filling is super easy. Throw in all of the ingredients in one large pan, cook for 15 minutes, stuff into your pie crust and pop it in the oven.
Lets get started!
For this recipe you will need:
- 500 g pork mince
- 300 g grated cheese
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp Real Gourmet Vegeta
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 egg, beaten for glazing
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prepare your butter pie crust first. Click here to go to the butter pie crust recipe. Let your pie crust refrigerate for at least 2 hours before baking.
- Once your butter pie crust is ready, in a large pan heat up one chopped onion.
- Once the onion has softened, add thinly chopped garlic & let cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the mince meat & stir in with the onion and garlic.
- When the mince has started to brown add the can of chopped tomatoes. Let this cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the ground paprika, Vegeta, garlic salt & basil. Cook for a further 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Towards the end, turn off your stove and add in 200 g of the grated cheese into the mince meat mixture and combine.
- Take your butter pie crust out of the fridge, and sprinkle 50 g of the grated cheese on the bottom of the crust. Then add your mince & cheese mixture on top. Top with the remaining 50 g of the grated cheese.
- If you are adding crust to the top layer of the pie, glaze with one beaten egg.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes on 180 degrees. Keep an eye out as your oven may differ in heat. The general rule is to bake until the pie crust has become a light grown colour.
I hope that you enjoy this recipe! This healthy mince & cheese pie is popular in our house now and we definitely enjoy having it on colder nights. If you do make this recipe be sure to share and tag me over on Instagram.