Introducing you to one of my favourite all time childhood treats! Jam Crescents. I have lost count of how many times my brother and I indulged in this treat as kids! But who cares right, because they are delicious! The dough for this recipe is made with only four ingredients! For the filling, all you need is a jar of jam. These are a delightful treat, which is why I am going to share with you my version of an easy jam crescent recipe.
These Jam Crescents will
ONE BOWL DOUGH
The dough for these easy jam crescents is soft and buttery. Even though this type of recipe falls under the ‘dry dough’ category, that is not the case here! This is because the butter and Greek yogurt really help soften the dough. It is best to measure and prepare all of your ingredients first. What is even better is that this dough is prepared in one bowl. You can use a stand alone mixer to make it super simple.
For a good result, it is best to use the butter when it is at room temperature. I usually leave my butter out on the counter for 40 minutes prior to using. It is as simple as combining the butter and sugar until it becomes soft and creamy. Then mix in the Greek yogurt and gradually add the flour. It will take a few minutes for the dough to form into a ball. Once you get a ball, gently fold the dough with your hands on a floured surface until you get a smooth ball. Cut the dough in half. The dough is ready to be used straight away. You do not have to refrigerate it prior to using it.
FORMING THE CRESCENTS
Take one half of the dough and roll into a circle, roughly 5 mm thick. Cut the circle into triangles (like a pizza). Each triangle needs to be big enough to hold a teaspoon of jam inside. You can choose how big or small you like them. I personally like them smaller. This way I end up with 32 small jam crescents. If you choose to make them bigger, you will end up with half of that amount. Place a teaspoon of jam at the wider end of each triangle, then roll up like a croissant. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and glaze each crescent with an egg.
You need a jar of jam. That is it. I would recommend any type of berry, plum or apricot jam. However, beware as the jam will spill a little during the baking process. This is normal. Under heat the jam is bound to spill. Do not worry though these are still delicious and smell amazing. If you like, use a different filling such as Nutella. This will not cause any spilling. I know this, because, naturally, I have made these with Nutella before 😛.
- 2 1/2 cups standard flour
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 sachets vanilla sugar ( or 4 tablespoons normal sugar)
- 160 g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 jar of jam
- 1 egg for glazing
- Preheat your oven to 180 & line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix the butter and sugar until it becomes soft & creamy.
- Add in Greek yogurt and combine well into the butter and sugar.
- Gradually add in the flour. Keep mixing until a ball is formed.
- Empty the dough onto a floured surface and kneed until you have a smooth dough ball.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Take one half of the dough and roll into a circle, roughly 5 mm thick.
- Cut the circle into triangles (like a pizza). Place a teaspoon of jam at the wider end of each triangle.
- Roll up like a croissant. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Whisk one egg in a bowl.
- Using a brush, glaze each crescent with the egg.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until they have turned a light brown colour.
- Serve with icing sugar, or as is.
These easy jam crescents are good warm or cold. They can be kept for days, or weeks in a closed container if you refrigerate them. You can also freeze them.
I hope that my version of this easy jam crescent recipe brings some inspiration your way! If you do make this recipe feel free to comment below. You can also tag me over on Instagram.