The best types of homemade chocolates cakes are ones that use simple ingredients, are easy to make and taste delicious! This easy homemade chocolate cake is decadent and moist with the most delicious chocolate filling. This recipe for my homemade chocolate cake always gets the best reviews in our house which is why I am sharing it with you. It also makes for a stunning chocolate cake to serve up to your friends and family.
For me, there is nothing better than to get into the kitchen and bake something delicious. I enjoy the process of making and putting a recipe together. Whats even better is that at the end I get to have a slice of this delicious cake.
Chocolate makes everything better! This is coming from a chocolate fan over here 🙂 If you are a chocolate lover, this easy homemade chocolate cake is for you!
If you are Serbian, or come from that side of the world, you will know this cake very much resembles the Srneca Ledja cake. For all of the English readers that is a very difficult name to pronounce, which is why we are just going to call it Chocolate Cake for now 🙂
This cake is Sweet
The base of this cake is very similar to how cakes in Serbia are usually prepared. You start off by whisking eggs, flour, ground walnuts and sugar.
I love any cake base which has grounded walnuts. I really am not a fan of plain, thick, spongy cakes. For me there just has to be the crunchy taste of walnuts in there.
The chocolate filling is a typical Serbian way of making a cake filling. We use eggs yolks, sugar, melted chocolate and butter. The way I have always made my chocolate fillings is by setting up the Double Boiler method. You can check out how to do this here.
Right now I am having trouble thinking of a dessert I have made recently which tastes this good. That is how much I am loving this. There is no other way to make this cake sound glorious, because you need to take some time, make this recipe, and enjoy it 🙂
For this recipe you will need:
- 100 g Milk Chocolate
- 100 g Unsalted Butter
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 3 Egg Whites
- 75 g Sugar
- 60 ml Almond Milk
- 50 g Self Raising Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 100 g Ground Walnuts
- Pinch of Salt
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 100 g Sugar
- 100 g Milk Chocolate
- 130 g Unsalted Butter
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees & line a baking pan with baking paper. I used a pan that was 26 cm by 16 cm, you can use anything similar.
- Grind up your walnuts until they look like crumbs.
FOR THE BASE
- Firstly, melt the chocolate and butter together and set aside. you can do this in the microwave for a minute and a half until melted.
- In a bigger bowl, using a mixer, mix the egg whites with the pinch of salt until the egg whites are almost fully firm. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, also with a mixer, mix the egg yolks, gradually add the sugar and milk. Then add the previously melted chocolate and butter, the flour, baking powder and grounded walnuts. Finally add the already whipped egg whites and combine.
- Place the mixture in your baking tin. Bake the base in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees. Keep an eye on it so that it does not burn, this will depend on the type of oven you have.
- Once your base is done, take it out of the oven and leave it to the side to cool completely.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE FILLING
- First set up a Double Boiler. You can do this by simmering a few inches of water in a saucepan and then stack a glass bowl on top of the saucepan (make sure your glass bowl fits in snugly).
- When your glass bowl has warmed up, add the egg yolks and mix this constantly while adding in the sugar. Do not stop stirring as you can end up with scrambled eggs and you do not want this. Once the sugar and egg yolks are combined (it usually takes a minute) add in your chocolate pieces and continue stirring until your chocolate has melted.
- When the chocolate has melted remove the glass bowl off the stove and set aside to cool for 5 min.
- Once your egg, sugar and chocolate mixture has slightly cooled, add in the butter and mix it with a mixer until you get a nicely combined filling.
- Leave the chocolate filling to cool in the fridge for at least an hour and a half, up to 2 hours if you have the patience 🙂 . This is an important step because when you put the cake together the chocolate filling needs to be firm enough so that it does not fall apart.
PUTTING THE CAKE TOGETHER
- To put the cake together, cut your base in half from the middle. This will form your bottom and top layer. Place your bottom layer on a plate of choice, and spread some chocolate filling on top. I used about a third of the chocolate filling for this. Then add the second base layer on top and continue spreading with the chocolate filling. Spread your chocolate filling from the top of the cake and then to the sides. Use as much of the chocolate filling as you wish.
- Refrigerate your cake for at least 2 hours before serving. I find that the cake tastes best when it is refrigerated overnight.
TIPS FOR DECORATING
You can really do just about anything with this cake, one of the easiest ways is to melt some chocolate and drizzle it on top. I wanted to add some colour which is why I added thin slices of an orange and flowers for decoration. If you have edible flowers handy, you can use them as well. Or my other preferred way of decorating this cake would be by spreading some grounded walnuts on top.
I hope this easy homemade chocolate cake recipe finds its way to your kitchen and onto your dessert plate. If you do make this recipe be sure to share and tag me over on Instagram.